AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Used, The - 03.17.05

Interviewed by: Brandon Herbel (03/20/05)
Absolutepunk.net Interview Ė The Used

First off, I just want to thank you guys for taking the time out of your busy schedule to sit down and talk with us.

How did you guys meet and become The Used?

Itís the same old clichť story that every band does. We had played with Bertís band for years and then we finally just found each other and started playing and messing around and it just took off.

Is there any meaning behind the band name:ĒThe UsedĒ?

Not really a meaning so much. Around the same time we had a lot of friends that had turned their backs on us and saying that we used them, so to spite them we thought that having the name The Used would fit well.

When did you guys first realize that this was serious and that The Used was taking off?

It wasnít an overnight thing. I think the first night that we really noticed was the warped tour in Atlanta when there were 200 kids waiting to see us. When we were playing the power went out and then all the kids started singing the words to the song when there was no power and it was just an eye opener.

I remember seeing you guys on one of the side stages of warped tour and there being like 30 people at the stage, whatís its been like going from that to now headlining the Taste Of Chaos tour?

When you saw that, it was like four years ago. Its like a tiny snow ball that is falling down a hill and growing and growing. We have just been pushing and pushing it tell it finally starting going somewhere. So it definitely wasnít over night for us.

You guys just recently released ďIn Love and DeathĒ. How has the fan reaction been since the new album has been out?

We did the opposite. We did what we wanted to? What did we do different; we have always been signed to Warner bros. It has to change and because it didnít get heavier and do what everyone else is doing people got pissed off. I think the term selling out is the most duesh bag term anyone could use.

I heard that Bertís dad was a singer; did anyone else in the band have any big musical influences growing up?

Before High School we basically just starting playing with a few friends and just were messing around. There was never really a lot of music in our houses growing up.

Has there been any talk of any of the members doing any side-projects in the future, or are you guys completely dedicated to the band?

We all always keep busy. Jeph always has his bass and is always messing around with stuff. Burt really doesnít do anything outside of the used. He sleeps, eats, and parties the used. We all talk about business things and companies. And doing a lot of shit with other bands and producers just helping out and stuff. And I also have a skateboard company that I am working on.

Is there a band that isnít signed or very well known that you guys think are just about ready to blow up and get huge?

I have been listening to the muse so much. The new and old shit. I just got the new underoath album. Thatís really about it.

Now you guys started a site called ďThe Used NationĒ. Where did you guys get that idea? Was it the label or the bandís idea?

It was a friend of ours that had the idea. I thought it was really 1980ís and didnít really think that it was something that was still around. We figured that it was good ideas for those die hard fans that are out there. I mean they pay the 20 dollars and then with that money we make sweet exclusive merch and have a sweet website. It ended up being a great idea and we didnít really have a lot to do with it other then choosing what we used.
Itís really nice for all the fans to make friends with it at shows and how they get to meet us after every show. With the band getting bigger itís been harder to talk to all of the kids and with this itís easier.

Have you guys started writing anything else for another album, or are you guys just riding on the wave of this album before you start writing more?

We donít ever write on the road, so we donít really have anything just yet. We always write the album when we are all together so we are just going to wait. Probably around this time next year we will be in the studio writing again.

What going on after this tour?

We have a few weeks left on this and then we are just gonna do a few shows here and there then go to Australia and do a show for a motor cross.. Thatís about it.

Any last thing you want to say to all the readers out there in AP land?

Do what you believe in; I know thatís cheesy as fuck but its good advice. I am still bummed about that sell out thing. Donít believe what everyone says and just do what you want. And thank you for letting us share our music.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27.
12:28 PM on 03/20/05
hXc_pwnage
smoke weed errrday
User Info.
Hahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahah.
12:32 PM on 03/20/05
Wheez
Plays Pretty For Baby
User Info.
Agreed
12:33 PM on 03/20/05
Shellular
firework.
User Info.
hahaha my god. they're terrible at interviews. im sorry you had to go through that brandon.
12:36 PM on 03/20/05
derricklc22
Gentelman in Training
User Info.
Originally Posted by Wheez
Agreed
Real good interview, he couldnt be more write on how stupid the term "sellout" is.
12:44 PM on 03/20/05
jones160
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
that was a pain in the ass to read. used are not very good though...so oh well
12:47 PM on 03/20/05
tedE
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't think sellout is a stupid term, just so many people starting using it inappropriately. I'm sure no one would deny Sugar Ray "sold out." They went from the sound on their first album to the sound on the rest of their albums because of the popularity of "Fly." There was no other reason for the change in their sound. Therefore, they are "sellouts".

The Used didn't sell out. The sound on the new record didn't change because of the popularity of one song on the previous record, or current trends or anything like that, it changed because of events in Bert's life. Whether you like them or not is a different matter, but they did not sell out, nor did the 1,000 other bands people call sell outs these days. Well, except Stars Hide Fire, they are sellouts. LOL
12:50 PM on 03/20/05
derricklc22
Gentelman in Training
User Info.
Originally Posted by tedE
I don't think sellout is a stupid term, just so many people starting using it inappropriately. I'm sure no one would deny Sugar Ray "sold out." They went from the sound on their first album to the sound on the rest of their albums because of the popularity of "Fly." There was no other reason for the change in their sound. Therefore, they are "sellouts".

The Used didn't sell out. The sound on the new record didn't change because of the popularity of one song on the previous record, or current trends or anything like that, it changed because of events in Bert's life. Whether you like them or not is a different matter, but they did not sell out, nor did the 1,000 other bands people call sell outs these days. Well, except Stars Hide Fire, they are sellouts. LOL

I agree completely.......great point on the Sugar Ray.........I should've said what you said becasue that is really waht I meant. I personally liked both Used albums myself, but I dont think the majority sides with me. Anyway, good statement man.
12:50 PM on 03/20/05
NFG4ever
Let's go RED WINGS !!
User Info.
Great Interview , I love The Used
01:21 PM on 03/20/05
_illusive
i bet you love this
User Info.
you're only a sell out when you start playing for the money rather than the fans, or even just for the fun of it. i happen to enjoy the used, not to mention the other 46535 bands people will refer to as sellouts. it's about the music. it's about the passion. it's about the fans. just keep an open mind. it's no use closing off something that has the potential to be great.
01:58 PM on 03/20/05
Jason Tate
User Info.
i think they're mad at me .. :( .. o well!! heh.
02:00 PM on 03/20/05
listen2theused
We're falling fast
User Info.
that was kinda confusing sometimes, but a good interview anyway.i love the used, and i dont think they "sold out." the music changed, but not in the way some bands change. like if hoobastank changed thier music to sound exactly like "the reason", a huge hit this summer, that would be selling out.
02:09 PM on 03/20/05
derricklc22
Gentelman in Training
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate

The Used are mad at you?? That cant be good, Bert is kind of scary in his own way, haha. The last song played by you, at the time I'm writing this, was MXPX - I'm Ok You're Ok........now that is a great song. I really should get that Acoustic/DVD thing they put out last fall.
02:33 PM on 03/20/05
thebestkylever
girls like status.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate

be careful. bert spits blood.
02:50 PM on 03/20/05
projectmayhem16
keep cool but care
User Info.
You had such a wide array of questions that I and a ton of others gave you that were so much better than the ones you asked, not to be a dick but I can google any interview they have previously done and find the same questions with the same answers. Sorry but I am just sort of pissed, all in all a lackluster interview.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests