AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Third Eye Blind - Red Star Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.81
Musicianship 6.31
Lyrics 5.63
Production 5.69
Creativity 5.94
Lasting Value 6.81
Reviewer Tilt 5.56
Average: 60%
Inside AP.net

Third Eye Blind - Red Star

Reviewed by: Undue Noise (11/16/08)
Third Eye Blind - Red Star
Record Label: Sony Records
Release Date: November 18, 2008

It has been six hard, long years for Third Eye Blind fans, waiting for the band’s next full length release, Ursa Major, due out February 2009. While this long dry spell has left people eagerly awaiting the next release (the six year gap seems to be taken directly from the book of Trent Reznor), the Red Star EP can somewhat ease the pain of a further four months wait.

The EP opens with the single, “Non-Dairy Creamer,” a steady drum beat opening up to a single stringed guitar riff. Vocalist Stephen Jenkins opens the song with the memorable lines, “They call it KFC / ‘Cause it’s not really chicken.” These opening lines are probably the epitome of whether or not you will like this EP. Jenkins has never been afraid of using slightly off-kilter lyrics (see the whole of “Slow Motion”), but this may take things a stretch. Half-way through the song is a rousing gang sing-a-long that, on the first listen, fits perfectly into the song. On second listen, however, the lyrics come through more clearly: “And I found myself some culprits / It's two young gay republicans / Young gay republicans / Young gay republicans / Young gay republicans.” While the lyrical content may be questionable (making it all the more memorable), the song is a solid single release.

The second song is the title track, “Red Star.” Leaning slightly towards indie territory, the melodies on “Red Star” are hooky and rhythmic, building up consistently throughout the song before settling down into a more relaxed chorus. Jenkins vocal range shows much more on this track, allowing his voice to reach slightly higher points. The lyrics are much stronger in this song, a paced story-telling track, finalizing with a crescendo of the final chorus: “Cause you were so pretty hiding out / You're a red star.”

The last track of the EP is “Why Can’t You Be?”, a live track played with a mellower tempo, mainly due to the subtle acoustic guitar in place of the crunchy electric tones normally associated with Third Eye Blind. As a closer, the song seems fitting -- a mellow end to a varied EP. Preceded by a spoken introduction by Jenkins telling how an old girlfriend declared that her first love was a “multiple adjustable shower head,” the song goes onto a simple, nonthreatening, borderline pop song. Probably the least remarkable of the EP, the song shows nothing new and seems to be a ballad that makes little-to-no impact. The rating for this album would be a lot higher if not for this track.

Red Star EP is a given for all Third Eye Blind fans, who will no doubt be craving for any material released by the band. But for non-fans who haven’t already been attracted to the band, this will likely not change your mind. While the EP is varied in tone and content, the lack of bite on the final track will put it down some. If you have one bad song on an album, you can forgive it, but not if the song is one of three.

Red Star EP will give fans some new material to last until Ursa Major, but the haters will keep on hating.

Recommended if You LikeThird Eye Blind's Blue; solid rock/pop; "The Madding Crowd" era Nine Days; shouting about republicans

myspace.com/thirdeyeblind

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
07:56 PM on 11/25/08
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
I'm pretty sure it's Ursa Major. That might explain the lack of comments here. Plus, a 3-song EP is hardly worthy of a review, even if its 3EB.

You kinda threw away any cred the review had by mis-naming the album though, gotta say. Who approved this one?
09:35 AM on 11/30/08
Undue Noise
RETIRED
User Info.
I'm pretty sure it's Ursa Major. That might explain the lack of comments here. Plus, a 3-song EP is hardly worthy of a review, even if its 3EB.

You kinda threw away any cred the review had by mis-naming the album though, gotta say. Who approved this one?

All I can say is that I apologise. It's my first review (which is no excuse) and I can only place blame on my spell check for not recognising Ursa as a word. I didn't read through the review, but I was, and am, aware that the album is called Ursa Major, being a big 3EB fan myself.
I apologise for the mistake, I now know better.
09:51 AM on 12/01/08
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
And that, my friends, is why you never rely on spell check.
10:13 AM on 12/01/08
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
No biggie. Kind of a dick comment by me. Ah well, keep trying. Go for a longer album maybe.
12:53 PM on 12/01/08
Undue Noise
RETIRED
User Info.
And that, my friends, is why you never rely on spell check.
Yep; I am now humbled and distrust technology.
No biggie. Kind of a dick comment by me. Ah well, keep trying. Go for a longer album maybe.
It's cool, I'll try for a longer album.
02:16 PM on 12/01/08
Fury15
Winner winner chicken dinner
User Info.
decent review. looking very forward to this album no matter how its spelled
04:06 AM on 12/02/08
Undue Noise
RETIRED
User Info.
decent review. looking very forward to this album no matter how its spelled
Haha thanks, so am I.
08:33 AM on 12/13/08
Circa1628
Long suffering Bills fan
User Info.
Pretty good review, although I think some of the the lyrics to "Non Dairy Creamer" might have gone over your head at certain points. I lyrics might seem "Off-kilter" at times, but listen to the lyrics, and think about them, they are extremely political, which would explain why a lot of people might not understand them. Good review overall though. Third Eye Blind FTW
12:58 PM on 12/22/08
Undue Noise
RETIRED
User Info.
Pretty good review, although I think some of the the lyrics to "Non Dairy Creamer" might have gone over your head at certain points. I lyrics might seem "Off-kilter" at times, but listen to the lyrics, and think about them, they are extremely political, which would explain why a lot of people might not understand them. Good review overall though. Third Eye Blind FTW
I completely agree. In hindsight, I understand the lyrics more now and can definitely read more into them. Thanks for commenting.
08:49 AM on 01/21/09
Kis2kill
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I couldn't disagree more about your opinion on "Why Can't You Be". It's hardly the least remarkable.
Having been a long time 3eb supporter, WCYB almost sums up entirely what the band has been about since their first self-titled release: lyrics. Give it a couple more listens, your opinion will change.

Most unremarkable would have to be Non-Dairy Creamer for me. And by unremarkable, I meant embarrassing.
08:38 AM on 02/08/09
chroma23
True Punk Fan
User Info.
I can't beleive that nobody is a fan of why can't you be. Easily my favorite track off of the ep. I hope it makes it onto Ursa Major.
11:50 AM on 06/04/09
bpeachey
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Why Can't You Be was also my favorite track by far. To me, it seemed the most genuine and heartfelt. Who says the last track of an album has to have sting to it?
11:21 AM on 05/23/10
mattjames1909
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The song "Red Star" is easily the most underrated 3eb song to ever be released.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums