AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Now, Now Every Children - Cars Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 8
Production 7.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.82
Musicianship 9.57
Lyrics 9.48
Production 9.48
Creativity 9.3
Lasting Value 9.55
Reviewer Tilt 9.68
Average: 96%

Now, Now Every Children - Cars

Reviewed by: Travis Parno (12/19/08)
Now, Now Every ChildrenCars
Record Label: Afternoon Records
Release Date: December 9, 2008

I really didn’t want to like Now, Now Every Children. If I tried to keep track of every indie band tagged with a cutesy name or fronted by a waifish young lady, I wouldn’t have the time to iron my plaid shirts or drink coffee with an air of distraction. Fortunately, Cacie Dalager (vocals, guitars, keys) and Bradley Hale (drums, vocals) took the decision out of my hands.

Following the release of two EPs on Afternoon Records (Not One, But Two and In the City), the duo set their sights on a debut LP, and Cars was born. With the dial tuned firmly to lo-fi, the album toys with quiet but efficient percussion and wandering guitar and keyboard lines. Now, Now Every Children’s airy moods are guided by Dalager’s dreamy confessions, which breathe through a voice that sounds as though it’s spent the day lost in a crowd or staring wistfully out a window. It’s soft, but not without character and a kind of sensitive detachment.

Cars is both wonderful and flawed in the fact that Dalager and Hale have mastered the art of musical weightlessness. There is no part of this album that feels tethered to much of anything (for example, try the cloud-like simplicity of “Sleep Through Summer”), but at some point it becomes difficult to see what’s happening back on Earth. While it’s hard to complain given how easy it is to drift through this album, it would be nice to hear what would happen if we bumped up the amps and got a bit dirty. This may have been the intent of the second half of “Friends With My Sister,” which lays out a crunchy cadre of distorted chords following the delicate bells and feathery “oohs” and “ohhs” that rest in the song’s beginning. Against the backdrop of ethereal atmospheres we’ve seen so far, this breakdown is practically a coup, but the emotional needle of Dalager’s voice barely registers a quiver. For all we know, she’s finally floated away.

But really, you probably shouldn’t listen to my stodgy grumblings because these qualms don’t really affect the overall outcome of the album. Dalager can carry on being comatose for all I care, I’ll keep (mutely) rocking out to the bouncing indie jaunt of “Not One, But Two” and “In My Chest.” And I’ll certainly cut the first person to upset the brilliant balance of “We Know Martha Webber” and “Cars,” which will henceforth be known as the two songs that Eisley wished they wrote. These are timid tunes, and that’s exactly why they succeed.

I didn’t want to like Now, Now Every Children, but after letting Cars glide through my head for a while, I’ll be damned if I don’t love ‘em. Thankfully I’ve still got room in my schedule to browse the aisles at the Salvation Army and bitch about people who eat meat. Hell, now I’ve even got a soundtrack.

Track List1. Not One, But Two
2. Everyone You Know
3. Have You Tried
4. Sleep Through Summer
5. Friends With My Sister
6. In My Chest
7. Headlights
8. In The City
9. We Know Martha Webber
10. Little Brother
11. Cars

Give it a try if you like…Rainer Maria; Eisley; day-dreaming

Hear it on the internetzOfficial Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38.
08:31 PM on 12/19/08
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
User Info.
I've been listening to this cd more and more recently. Really like it and good review.
03:05 AM on 12/20/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
I'm up for most anything that can be associated with Eisley. Good review.
07:14 AM on 12/20/08
jkaminallen
sexomatic robot
User Info.
79%....bullshit. Better than 98% of anything even heard of by the general population of apnet
07:19 AM on 12/20/08
meghanlail
Do you know what stars are?
User Info.
Excellent review. This album is wonderful.
07:47 AM on 12/20/08
JakeOff946
::10/28/2008::
User Info.
lotta big words in this review Judgey McJudge...

none the less, I'm a sucker for a kind word....(song title)
09:15 AM on 12/20/08
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
Their name really bothers me. It's not right.
09:28 AM on 12/20/08
zFrog
Giancarlo
User Info.
I've been addicted to this for a couple of weeks now.. I think I actually like it more than Copeland's You Are my sunshine, mainly because it has a really good voice and i'm a sucker for distortion (in the first track to be more precise) good review..
09:43 AM on 12/20/08
Short-Lived
User Info.
I love this album. Great review.
10:57 AM on 12/20/08
DaGaR
User Info.
little low, but i really liked this review.
12:34 PM on 12/20/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Nice review, Travis. This is a really solid album.
12:39 PM on 12/20/08
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
Their name really bothers me. It's not right.
Nope. Not at all, not grammatically. Hate it!
04:48 PM on 12/20/08
panicbxmb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
such a great album :)
07:11 PM on 12/20/08
songydarko
User Info.
79%... really? This album is one of the best albums all year. Way better than 85 percent of the crap that's getting hyped these days.
09:40 PM on 12/20/08
Ian Anderson
Afternoon Records Dude
User Info.
Boosh. Best album of 2008/2009. Hands down. Case closed. Party's over. Wrap it up. Game over. Time for a martini.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS