AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Vanity Affair, The - Love You More Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7.75
Production 9
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.63
Musicianship 5.13
Lyrics 3.13
Production 5.13
Creativity 4.5
Lasting Value 2.63
Reviewer Tilt 5.13
Average: 43%
Inside AP.net

Vanity Affair, The - Love You More

Reviewed by: DaveZeroZero (12/25/08)
The Vanity Affair - Love You More
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 2009

Whoo! It's Forever the Sickest Kids! Well, actually, it's not, but you may be forgiven for thinking otherwise. With their infection choruses and synth backing, as well as a very similar-sounding vocal set-up, The Vanity Affair already have much in common with their more popular counterparts.

However, the most noticeable difference is that, between the production on this EP and Forever The Sickest Kids's Matt Squire-strangled Underdog Alma Mater, with the sound here being clear, crisp and perfect for their target audience, this band emerge as victors.

The EP opens with "Never Let You Go" (fun fact: this track used to be entitled "Let It Ride"), which instantly displays the band's pop sensibilities, using tried & tested lines such as "I'll make damn sure I'll never ever let you go" in harmony with their catchy melodies and vocal hooks.

"You're my party girl; you make me want to P-A-R-T-Y"

Following on from this is "Party Girl", a more synth-led fun-fest that is perfectly in touch with the contemporary music scene and featuring some great-sounding teen romance-based lyrics.

"We'll drive all night with the windows down and oh my god, what's going through my mind tonight?"

"Top of the World" keeps the fever flowing, but wouldn't make as effective a single as perhaps "Party Girl" or "Never Let You Go" (I got tempted to write "Never Gonna Give You Up", there) would and differentiates itself well from the other songs without changing the feel or style of the record.

"Noone is going to look at you quite like I do, quite like I do."

They finish strongly with "Take It Slow", which breaks into a fantastically infectious chorus and finishing the record in exactly the way that it should: with me anxious to hear more.

The genius of this EP is in its lyrical simplicity, as it doesn't make failed attempts to be cryptic in the delivery of its meaning, but rather leaving me thinking "I could and should use some of these lyrics on girls." Well, with my lack of shame and success to date, it won't hurt to try. Furthermore, unlike many other artists in what some are (somewhat unfairly) giving the name "shit-pop," The Vanity Affair are putting out music that doesn't feel cheesy or forced, but perhaps even more catchy and even clever, too. They're also a lot more consistently good than Forever The Sickest Kids and I strongly suggest that you do, friends, APers, countrymen, lend them your ears and help them on their way to the success that they so clearly warrant.

Track Listing01. Never Let You Go
02. Party Girl
03. The Score
04. Top of the World
05. Take It Slow

Recommended if You LikeForever the Sickest Kids; Houston Calls; All Time Low; The Maine

myspace.com/thevanityaffairmusic

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
06:02 PM on 01/05/09
TheSkyline
www.pillowtalktn.bandcamp .com
User Info.
Nice review, I'll check them out. "Matt Squire-strangled" was pretty funny.
05:48 PM on 01/19/09
sean-reid
seanreidportfolio.com
User Info.
If you want to read another review of The Vanity Affair's EP visit this site.
I agree that it sounds like FTSK.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums