AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Pegasuses-XL - Electro Agitators Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.5
Musicianship 5.75
Lyrics 3.5
Production 3.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 1.5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 46%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Pegasuses-XL - Electro Agitators

Reviewed by: Julia Conny (12/29/08)
Pegasuses-XL - Electro Agitators
Release Date: January 27th, 2009
Record Label: Ernest Jenning Record Co.

On Electro Agitators, Pegasuses-XL combine their first three self-released EPs into one messy conglomerate. One messy, abrasive, sampling synth punk disaster zone. One messy, spazzing Beastie Boys cheese grater. It's a carry on from their 2008 debut, a full-length titled The Antiphon, and it's almost exactly what you expect it would and wouldn't be.

On the same token, the cast of character is a deep, expected/unexpected bag of goodies. Vocal duties from Jeff Rosenstock from Bomb The Music Industry! are frantic, made to startle and occasionally irrelevant in the heavy layers of synth, keyboard, distortion and static. When they're there, they're there, squealing and quacking like BTMI! but utterly unleashed. Similar trails of thought go for the other three of the pack, Mark Dale (Disband), Jeff Tobias (We Versus the Shark) and Joel Hatstat (Cinemechanica), so that all of Electro Agitators is a venting of hallucinogenic yearnings. This shit can hurt your brain.

And it does hurt my brain. My temples flare from the over-stimulation. "Run the Gauntlet", the second track of 17, is an introduction to the overload and a smorgasbord of synth-types. "Pixilated Flowers" rumbles in with a WWII radio sample and a deep metallic organ flavor. Overtop, Rosenstock spits and raps. I kinda get it. There is a severe lack of melody and organization on Electro Agitators, which has to do with both the band's genetic make-up and that the release is actually three EPs forced to make home as one, but it's not all pain to the ears. "Panzerfaust!" is actually kind of pretty, "Theme To Athfest" is a fresh throw to nineties hip-hop, although the deconstruction towards the end is more inedible chaos. Ultimately, it has moments.

While it's given an excuse, Electro Agitators is underdeveloped and low on meaning. The overall album is tough to consume without being taken aback for at least the first half, and with mindfucks like "New Domestic Paradigm", well, good luck.

RIYLBeastie Boys, Bomb The Music Industry!, We Versus the Shark, Devo
Additional InfoMyspace | Ernest Jenning | Purchase

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
08:55 AM on 12/30/08
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Release date should be 2009?
11:27 AM on 12/30/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Release date should be 2009?

Eep! Thanks for catching that.
05:50 PM on 12/30/08
FuckedandDeaded
DeadFuck
User Info.
08:54 PM on 12/30/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
09:42 AM on 01/04/09
BombJeff
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hi, just some friendly clarifications.

1) This is Jeff Rosenstock and I'm not on this record. I love Pegasuses-XL so much that I joined the damn band. I am not writing any of this as a member of the band, but as a fan of these songs. I am not on this release because...

2) This release is a combination of the first three EP's which have been available for free/donation download on quoteunquoterecords.com starting in 2006. Just like Radiohead in 2007 and Butch Walker is 2008. It is not an album worth of new material. It is a compendium of old material.

3) A lot of these songs are pretty minimal, even if they are loud they only have two keyboards. Also "Pixilated Flowers" has no rapping, not by me, not by anyone.

I mean, I know no one here is getting paid or whatever, but ya gotta do a LITTLE bit of research beyond the bio that the record company sends you, especially if you're gonna tear a band apart. I know it sucks, I write reviews too, but it's the least bit of courtesy you could give to a group of musicians who have busted their asses to make their music (whether or not it appeals to you), especially when they give it away for free like these three fine young gents.

I guess it goes without saying that I think the majority of the stuff on this record is totally awesome because I put it out. Here is a link to one of the songs on this record, Major in Business/Minor in Art. I think it's a fair representation of all the noisy, rappy, quiet, keyboardy, overloaded and minimalness that's on this record. If you like it, I'd suggest checking out these EP's, for free or on this release if you choose, as they have kept me pretty pumped for the past few years. Thanks for reading my ramble! And even with all this considered, thanks for giving a few dudes from Georgia a little bit of attention, Julia!

-- Jeff
04:37 PM on 01/05/09
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
It's cool it was given away for free but that doesn't mean it deserves any special circumstances on a review. It's still not good.
11:47 PM on 01/05/09
BombJeff
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
True enough. Doing basic research for a review shouldn't really be a special privilege though, should it?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests