Password

Album Review

Banner Pilot - Resignation Day Album Cover

Banner Pilot - Resignation Day

Reviewed by
Banner Pilot - Resignation Day
Record Label: Go-Kart Records
Release Date: November 11, 2008
Attention orgcore fans - if you didn't get this release in '08, than what WERE you doing? Banner Pilot is a 4 piece punk act out of Minnesota, citing influences such as Jawbreaker, Dillenger Four, and The Lawrence Arms. If those all-star influences weren't enough to get you excited, then you'll be happy to know that members have previously been involved in punk acts such as Off With Their Heads and These Riffs.

Upon receiving the album, the first thing I noticed was the cover art (which is awesome, by the way) and the album title. One would assume that Resignation Day would refer to one leaving their job for something new, or maybe just the act of giving up in general. After analyzing the album art, it may indeed be the latter.

The album kicks off with the track “Overwinter,” which features grating vocals reminiscent of Hot Water Music, buzzsaw distorted guitars, definable bass lines, and solid drumming. The quick, two minute track starts the album off just the way it should. My only complaint upon first hearing this track is that the production value seemed a couple notches below that of their 2006 EP. What's the deal with that? If you're intending to write music that is better than your past works, shouldn't the production at least stay on par with past works, if not improve?

If you're looking for themes of bitterness, regret, and hindsight in your lyrics, look no further than Resignation Day. This album is packed with metaphoric punches throughout. For example, see the following words from "Baltimore Knot":

Watch me rust, can't read this compass I used to trust
It's all broken, it's all corrupt
This Baltimore knot's got me all tied up
Spark combust, and sift for something in ash and dust
It's all broken, it's all corrupt
This Baltimore knot's got me all tied up
When you're all tied up you let go

Looking back to the album title, it does relate. It's obviously not a clear-cut concept album, but it does contain a message of sorts.

The negatives of this album are few and rare, although it does have them. Obviously I wasn't a fan of production, but this band also falls victim to too much of the same. Every track sounds too similar musically, and also very similar to other bands influenced by the same Midwestern emo/punk scene. The album is also quite short, coming in at a meager 30 minutes; the shortness of the album, however, does combat the lack of variety.

Overall, this album is a very solid sophomore effort from Banner Pilot. Go buy Resignation Day. It will not leave your car stereo, I promise.

Recommended if You LikeHot Water Music; Jawbreaker; Screeching Weasels

myspace.com/bannerpilot
This review is a user submitted review from Burn That Shit. You can see all of Burn That Shit's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
03:28 PM on 01/16/09
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
good review, good album. I agree completely that the production value seems a notch down from Pass the Poison and it does lack variation, but it's still a very solid album and one of my favorites from 2008.
06:33 PM on 01/16/09
Burn That Shit
a strange turn of events
User Info.
good review, good album. I agree completely that the production value seems a notch down from Pass the Poison and it does lack variation, but it's still a very solid album and one of my favorites from 2008.
Yeah it was a really awesome listen, looking forward to more releases from these dudes.
06:39 PM on 01/16/09
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
Yeah it was a really awesome listen, looking forward to more releases from these dudes.
For sure. Hopefully they work on what was weak about this album (mostly just the songs sounding the same) and produce an even stronger next time around.
01:43 PM on 01/17/09
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
Good stuff - keep 'em comin'!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT