Password

Album Review

The Main Drag - Yours As Fast As Mine Album Cover

The Main Drag - Yours As Fast As Mine

Reviewed by
The Main Drag - Yours As Fast As Mine
Record Label: None
Release Date: June 28, 2007
If The Main Drag is not on their way to becoming a household name in the indie rock world, they certainly should be. In their latest album, Yours As Fast As Mine, the members of the Main Drag showcase their ability to write progressive instrumental backings to overwhelmingly catchy vocals. With the highlight song of the album “A Jagged Gorgeous Winter” recently included in Rock Band 2, and the growing popularity of similar indie acts, (namely MGMT,) this Boston based unsigned band is certainly on their way to greener pastures. With a mere 6,000 odd friends on MySpace, and being basically unknown outside of Boston they are slowly but surely making their way out of obscurity and also were voted Salon.com’s “Best Unsigned Artist.”

Yours As Fast As Mine is truly a remarkable album if even for the band’s ability to manipulate indie electronic music to have many different dynamics, instead of repetitive fast paced and nasal songs this genre often produces. After the upbeat opening three tracks, they slow down the pace and launch into a trio of slower paced tunes. “Love During Wartime” is a highlight; a heartfelt ballad that is still backed up by a steady tempo. “Car Windows,” another ballad, follows with a nice shift in the instrumentals as they let an acoustic guitar take the reigns for the start of the song. As other instrumentals filter in, a beautifully executed violin accompaniment really adds a new dimension to the song. Finally, the song reaches a pique and electric guitars rip in as layered vocals echo the words: “Do you really wanna grow old? / You always gotta give in when you are told.” “Montana” is the third slower song in a row, a track with many acoustic guitars layered and is a nice transition into “What’s Your Favorite Dinosaur” which re-channels the fast paced energy of the beginning of the album.

As the end of the album draws near, even more catchy and upbeat songs are churned out, with the delightful and Dr. Dog-esque “Dove Nets” and “Taking Apart A Gigantic Machine”, which sounds very influenced by Ben Gibbard's All-Time Quarterback or even Postal Service material. The second to last track “Even Seconds” rivals Ace Ender’s very praised I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s Business project, with similar instrumental build ups and vocal styles until the song’s intensity hits a high, and a dark eerie ending completes the tune. The album ends with the track “Goodnight Technologist,” as the band returns to a slow pace once again. The song feels like a lullaby at the start, while subtly more and more instruments are layered and the song begins to pick up in tempo dragging out in a nice crescendo to a comfortable, not overbearing level. It is the perfect way to end a mellow yet very precise and intense record.

The Main Drag’s ability to write catchy yet original hooks within such out of the box musical stylings is unprecedented in the electronic indie world. The band displays a refreshing new take on pop music, yet maintains their talent and integrity in the process, producing a very technical and highly skilled album that is catchy at the same time. I recommend this album to anybody, regardless of your musical preference.

Recommended if You LikeBroken Social Scene, MGMT, The Postal Service

www.myspace.com/themaindrag
This review is a user submitted review from KateBandit. You can see all of KateBandit's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
03:56 AM on 01/30/09
Jackfrost50
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's worth noting that the version of "Jagged Gorgeous Winter" on Rock Band is NOT the same as on this album. They re-recorded it for the game.
05:57 PM on 11/02/09
SelkiesandSelks
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review, great album. The ending track alone is worth my money.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos