AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Ben Kweller - Changing Horses Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.13
Musicianship 8.13
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.38
Creativity 7.13
Lasting Value 8.13
Reviewer Tilt 8.38
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Ben Kweller - Changing Horses

Reviewed by: Travis Parno (01/31/09)
Ben KwellerChanging Horses
Record Label: ATO Records
Release Date: February 3, 2009

Let’s go on over to Ben’s house and listen to some music!

Of course, this is only wishful thinking, but it’s hard not to feel at ease listening to Ben Kweller’s soulful, idiosyncratic, and wholly unabashed innocence. Since he was barely old enough to pick up a guitar, Kweller has turned the mundane details of growing up in small town America into a successful, and wonderfully accessible, music career. Each new album is a breath of open land, spread across the country from his time with Greenville, Texas-based band Radish (formed in 1993 when Ben reached the ripe old age of 12, dissipated in 1999) to his critically acclaimed solo full-length, Sha Sha (2002). Two albums, seven years, and two cross-country moves (from Texas to New York City and back again) later, Kweller is back with Changing Horses, and he still hasn’t stopped pushing forward.

While 2006’s self-titled release saw Kweller playing every instrument on the album, Changing Horses headed in a different direction. This time through, Kweller left the background music to his touring trio of nearly two years and moved behind the soundboard. Although he claims he didn’t set out to write a country album, that was pretty much the result. Penned for porches and late night diners, Changing Horses kicks up some dust, pulls out the slide guitar, and cracks open a few PBRs. There are lonely ballads (“Gypsy Rose,” “Old Hat”), rocky relationships (“Wantin’ Her Again”), and faithful affirmations (“Fight”). Mixing in jangling pianos, tight percussion, and lazy lap steel, each tune rocks a Stetson and a pair of worn leather boots lounging on a whiskey-soaked table.

More so than with previous releases, Changing Horses is essentially curve-ball free, which only adds to the album’s repose (think ‘relaxed,’ not ‘simple’). Some of the tracks recall other balladeers, such as “Gypsy Rose” (Bob Dylan) and “Sawdust Man” (Paul McCartney), but Kweller is at his best when he sounds, well, like himself. His ability to make his life that of all of us, the life of the elusive and yet pervasive Everyman, speaks from every corner of this album. The songs are all stories in their own yarn-spinnin’ way, but some carry more weight than others. “Ballad of Wendy Baker,” for example, was written over ten years ago following the death of a high school friend and it’s only grown more tragic with age. For the most part, though, this is a collection of well-weathered acquaintances, people and places we’ve met, known, loved, and lost.

Changing Horses might not shake you down to your spurs, but that’s not really the point. Kweller is a master of the familiar. He’s your adolescent-crush-turned-best-friend. He’s a walk through the old neighborhood at dusk. He’s that 1970s bathroom wallpaper that our mothers just can’t bear to part with. He’s our brother, our father, our cousin, our uncle, our friend. Most importantly, Ben Kweller is home.

Track List1. Gypsy Rose
2. Old Hat
3. Fight
4. Hurtin’ You
5. Ballad of Wendy Baker
6. Sawdust Man
7. Wantin’ Her Again
8. Things I Do
9. On Her Own
10. Homeward Bound

Give it a try if you like…Ryan Adams; Bob Dylan; Conor Oberst

Hear it on the internetzOfficial Myspace | Official Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
02:59 PM on 01/31/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Nice review. Can't wait to hear this.
08:17 AM on 02/01/09
sleeplessdance
User Info.
i really like this album a lot. "things i do" is a great song.
08:44 AM on 02/01/09
sdisticsquirrel
the prophet
User Info.
i'm intrigued to see how this album sounds. i've never really been blown away by Kweller, but i don't think that's really his aim.
good review though. i think i saw a tumbleweed roll by as i was reading it...
09:10 AM on 02/01/09
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
Superb review, I want
09:33 AM on 02/01/09
maniac R.O.D.
www.myspace.com/skyscrapersnj
User Info.
That ending was beautiful, Travis
09:36 AM on 02/01/09
meghanlail
Do you know what stars are?
User Info.
Good review. I really need to get this album...Kweller's releases have never disappointed.
10:34 AM on 02/01/09
radxbandit
i don't know
User Info.
really dig this guy, on her own is a great song.
04:35 PM on 02/01/09
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
The last live show I saw of Ben Kweller was absolutely fantastic. This stuff sounds GREAT live.
04:45 PM on 02/01/09
guymandude1138
Cooldudealert!
User Info.
Great review. I could not agree more. I also agree that his live show are must see. If anybody gets the chance to see BK live, you hop on it.
05:02 PM on 02/01/09
kissmyeyes1
devotion and desire
User Info.
great review! pretty pumped to hear this.
07:43 PM on 02/01/09
Ambien
User Info.
Very well-written review
07:48 PM on 02/01/09
JacquelineNancy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a great review.
09:06 PM on 02/01/09
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
thanks for the kind words, everyone!
11:05 AM on 02/02/09
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
Really good review; great closing paragraph. Looking forward to listening to this.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums