Password

06:09 PM on 07/19/12 
User Info.
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
Hillsborough, NJ
Male
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...itten-20120719

"With his newsboy caps, sleeves of tattoos and wiry intensity, Fallon can come off like a barista getting high on his own supply."

does anyone know what that means?

"A barista getting high on his own supply" is more referring to the "wiry intensity" and the fact that the review feels like he's the kind of perpetually on a caffeine high type. The reviewer is trying to say that Brian is high-energy to an overboard level
06:09 PM on 07/19/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
it's a fairly positive review, i jus tdon't get that line.

I just don't think it's a very good review. Nothing Rolling Stone does goes into enough depth for me. Except maybe Springsteen or U2.

I haven't seen a single in depth or descriptive review for this album aside from this site's.

Gotta wait for mine!
06:30 PM on 07/19/12 
User Info.
ImTheSheriff
///
Male - 25 Years Old
it wasn't even 2 years ago that rolling stone has Fallon on their list of the top 50 people in rock music today or whatever and then they have a stupid fucking review like that.
07:03 PM on 07/19/12 
User Info.
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
Naperville, Il
Male - 21 Years Old
"A barista getting high on his own supply" is more referring to the "wiry intensity" and the fact that the review feels like he's the kind of perpetually on a caffeine high type. The reviewer is trying to say that Brian is high-energy to an overboard level

ok, that makes sense. also, take rolling stone's 3.5 as a pretty positive review, they give a disproportionate amount of new records 3.5
09:05 PM on 07/19/12 
User Info.
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
IRL
Male - 20 Years Old
I honestly can't remember the last time I read a RS review that wasn't a 3.5/5
09:39 PM on 07/19/12 
User Info.
emopunkfan
AllTimeLow
No Avatar Selected
Hey Guys,

Me and a bunch of my friends reviewed the new Gaslight Anthem CD for our channel on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2boWCvhUTQ
10:27 PM on 07/19/12 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
After multiple listens, I think I'd give this an 8/10. Maybe not a classic, but very solid. While Fallon is a top-notch songwriter lyrically, 4 full-lengths (and Elsie) in, I'm hoping he hasn't peaked musically. I said this earlier, but it often sounds like he's writing the same songs over and over again, even just within Handwritten itself. Still, the parts that are good are really, really good, and everything just sounds so slick and beautiful, it's hard not to fall in love with this.
10:56 PM on 07/19/12 
User Info.
InExile
AOTY: Broad Shoulders by Dikembe
Jacksonville
Male - 27 Years Old
When he sings "Sniffing out blood, just a little taste of "Where I came from",....................

is he referring to a vagina?
11:53 PM on 07/19/12 
User Info.
Hamlet
Prince of Denmark
New Zealand
Male - 28 Years Old
Mae sounds a bit like the Horrible Crowes' cover of teenage dream.
12:24 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
dogface
Male - 26 Years Old
Alright, I officially love this after a few days of listening. Even though there's some sub-par moments IMO, the highs on this record top anything they've ever done. American Slang had that tempered, "we better not screw this up!" sound to it. Cool record, but goes by without much consequence. Handwritten just has that genuine balls out feel about it that you just have to admire.
12:36 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
Hamlet
Prince of Denmark
New Zealand
Male - 28 Years Old
First 4 tracks are incredible, plus Biloxi Parish, Mae and National Anthem.

The other tracks haven't hooked me yet, maybe I just need to play them more.
01:37 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
InExile
AOTY: Broad Shoulders by Dikembe
Jacksonville
Male - 27 Years Old
That Rise Against sounding song is pretty good too.
08:39 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
After multiple listens, I think I'd give this an 8/10. Maybe not a classic, but very solid. While Fallon is a top-notch songwriter lyrically, 4 full-lengths (and Elsie) in, I'm hoping he hasn't peaked musically. I said this earlier, but it often sounds like he's writing the same songs over and over again, even just within Handwritten itself. Still, the parts that are good are really, really good, and everything just sounds so slick and beautiful, it's hard not to fall in love with this.

Would you mind explaining that point a little bit more? Not sure I see him writing the same songs over and over again.
08:45 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Mae sounds a bit like the Horrible Crowes' cover of teenage dream.

I can see that comparison.
09:22 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
This is for dreaming.
Chicago, IL
Male - 23 Years Old
Would you mind explaining that point a little bit more? Not sure I see him writing the same songs over and over again.

I can definitely see that being a criticism of his lyrics, which, while great, don't have the widest thematic variety. That doesn't bother me personally though. As a musician, however, it's almost astounding to hear how much they use the VI-IV-I-V chord progression (the first part of the chorus of "45," for instance), and, on Handwritten at least, how often it's in the key of Bb. I guess it's comfortable and sort of their trademark at this point, and it's definitely not something that turns me off from listening to them, but as a criticism, it certainly has some basis.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos