AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

10:32 AM on 07/08/13 
User Info.
Sensez Fail
South Florida
Male - 25 Years Old
That just makes me miss their Sink or Swim style even more, Brian sounds great. That's his niche, that's their niche.
04:13 PM on 07/08/13 
User Info.
barkjon
//
Seattle, WA
Male - 17 Years Old
still think SoS is the best
09:47 PM on 07/08/13 
User Info.
Keele
Registered Member
No Avatar Selected
I'd love to have another "cover" album similar to their previous itunes session. Of course a new Gaslight Anthem record (2014), a Brian solo album (later this year or 2014), and the chances of another Horrible Crowes record would take precedent of course.
01:41 AM on 07/09/13 
User Info.
Paulb-182
www.soundcloud.com/paulbeaumont
England
Male - 25 Years Old
I don't know, maybe I'm strange but I'd prefer some quality control over this stuff and just have one incredible Gaslight album that pulls from all of those vibes. The reason Sink Or Swim and 59 Sound were so special I feel is because Brian's head wasn't pulling in God knows how many directions. It was all Gaslight. With a solo record, Horrible Crowes and a new Gaslight I just can't see any of them pulling above okay to decent. Three records in one year is a lot of music in a very short time, to believe you have quality across the board would certainly be something.
12:01 PM on 07/09/13 
User Info.
S/T
There's a lot of buzz around Lenny
Would kill for a re-recorded version of this:

07:45 PM on 07/09/13 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
Indiana
Male - 25 Years Old
That rules. Would definitely like a Gaslight version.
10:56 PM on 07/13/13 
User Info.
Polaris
Columbia, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
The 'making of Handwritten' video still makes me excited for songs I've already heard, apparently. The version of "Here Comes My Man" on this video is absolutely incredible. I still have the demo-itis of this version over the final album version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqP4PYW-9g8 (6:50)
09:05 AM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
Well, I'm sure after Brian's Reagan-Bashing in this video gets out, that'll be it for conservative stations playing 'em. haha.

I misread that as "Brian Regan-bashing." Then I was confused. Then I was unconfused. And then I laughed at my silliness. I need coffee. That cover is awesome.
10:49 AM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
Philadelphia, PA
Male
I don't know, maybe I'm strange but I'd prefer some quality control over this stuff and just have one incredible Gaslight album that pulls from all of those vibes. The reason Sink Or Swim and 59 Sound were so special I feel is because Brian's head wasn't pulling in God knows how many directions. It was all Gaslight. With a solo record, Horrible Crowes and a new Gaslight I just can't see any of them pulling above okay to decent. Three records in one year is a lot of music in a very short time, to believe you have quality across the board would certainly be something.

Have a little more faith. He has yet to write a record that isn't good.
11:44 AM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
Paulb-182
www.soundcloud.com/paulbeaumont
England
Male - 25 Years Old
Have a little more faith. He has yet to write a record that isn't good.

I 100% agree with that, Horrible Crowes is an amazing album. I just feel the latest two Gaslight releases have missed a certain something that made the first two so special. To limit himself in the way he only does rock for Gaslight, the slower moodier stuff for Horrible Crowes then a whole new acoustic album on top of that seems odd. I'd like to see a Gaslight album that has all of that on there.
11:57 AM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
Hamburglar
Jeff
Houston, TX
Male
I'd like to see a Gaslight album that has all of that on there.

Bingo. I think of Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace from the Foo Fighters. They had just released a double album, half electric and half acoustic, and it was just too much. Then they were able to blend all of the heavy stuff they wanted to do with all of the acoustic stuff they were doing and it turned into their best album. It'll take some work, but Brian is capable of putting together a fluent album that encompasses all he wants to do.

I don't want a Ryan Adams, 3 albums in one year situation.
12:35 PM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
Matt Chylak
Philadelphia, PA
Male
I 100% agree with that, Horrible Crowes is an amazing album. I just feel the latest two Gaslight releases have missed a certain something that made the first two so special. To limit himself in the way he only does rock for Gaslight, the slower moodier stuff for Horrible Crowes then a whole new acoustic album on top of that seems odd. I'd like to see a Gaslight album that has all of that on there.

I don't really understand your argument. There's nothing like what you're talking about on the first two Gaslight records. My biggest complaint about those albums is that they sound kinda same-y at times, actually.

Conversely, while Handwritten is not one of my favorite records of theirs, your characterization of it seems off. The last Gaslight album had all kinds of different sounds that they've never tried before (especially "Too Much Blood" and "Biloxi Parish"), one of the best 'moody' songs they've ever written in "Mae" and "National Anthem", which is a beautiful acoustic track.

Also, American Slang is my favorite album by TGA so you're going to have a hard time convincing me that it's "missing something".
12:35 PM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
Matt Chylak
Philadelphia, PA
Male
Hmmmm.

I think ESPG is their worst TBH.

same. "Stranger Things Have Happened" is great, though. play it on a rainy day.
03:17 PM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
Hamburglar
Jeff
Houston, TX
Male
The point I was making with ESP&G is that instead of doing another double album like In Your Honor, they condensed it into one album (which I thought was very effective, maybe I'm the only one who rates it that highly.)

If Brian wants to write some acoustic based Americana music, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to implement that into a Gaslight record. Same with a dark, moody HC-style song. There's a way he can tastefully combine all the sounds he wants to pursue without having to put out multiple albums. I think he just churns out a lot of songs and its probably hard for him to narrow things down.
07:45 PM on 07/17/13 
User Info.
Sensez Fail
South Florida
Male - 25 Years Old
Bingo. I think of Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace from the Foo Fighters. They had just released a double album, half electric and half acoustic, and it was just too much. Then they were able to blend all of the heavy stuff they wanted to do with all of the acoustic stuff they were doing and it turned into their best album. It'll take some work, but Brian is capable of putting together a fluent album that encompasses all he wants to do.

I don't want a Ryan Adams, 3 albums in one year situation.

No way you really feel that way...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version