AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

06:43 PM on 07/15/14 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
People dislike We Did It When We Were Young? Does get overlooked a lot though and I agree its fantastic. Wasn't aware it was actively disliked though.

Well I don't think it's ever really dissed like say "Desire" is, but any thread that's talking about Gaslight songs people aren't into I always would see a handful of "We Did It When We Were Young doesn't really do much for me" or something to that extent. I think that them abandoning it live has something to do with it being overlooked. Like when a lot of people thing American Slang their mind naturally goes to the songs that are in the band's live rotation like the title track, Diamond Church & Queen of Lower Chelsea. Part of the reason I think that album is underrated is that IMO the best songs on the album aren't really acknowledged by the band anymore (Orphans, WDIWWWY and Bring It On for me).
06:51 PM on 07/15/14 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Well I don't think it's ever really dissed like say "Desire" is, but any thread that's talking about Gaslight songs people aren't into I always would see a handful of "We Did It When We Were Young doesn't really do much for me" or something to that extent. I think that them abandoning it live has something to do with it being overlooked. Like when a lot of people thing American Slang their mind naturally goes to the songs that are in the band's live rotation like the title track, Diamond Church & Queen of Lower Chelsea. Part of the reason I think that album is underrated is that IMO the best songs on the album aren't really acknowledged by the band anymore (Orphans, WDIWWWY and Bring It On for me).

Could also just be that stuff like Blue Jeans or HLAYK fill peoples "slow Gaslight song" niche.

Also the best song on that album is Spirit of Jazz (that part towards when Brian goes 'Not another soul will love you like my..." and then Benny wails the drums to cut him off... one of my favorite parts of any gaslight song)
07:14 PM on 07/15/14 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
Could also just be that stuff like Blue Jeans or HLAYK fill peoples "slow Gaslight song" niche.

Also the best song on that album is Spirit of Jazz (that part towards when Brian goes 'Not another soul will love you like my..." and then Benny wails the drums to cut him off... one of my favorite parts of any gaslight song)

Love that one too. Have you seen this live performance?

Brian howling the end of the second verse at 1:30 is so awesome.
07:27 PM on 07/15/14 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
The three of us are going to record a podcast next Tuesday just discussing this album. I'm not sure yet if we're gonna release it as a one-off episode and do a regular episode next Friday too, or release this as *the* episode (thoughts would be great), but if you have specific questions or things you'd like us to discuss ... please let us know so we can!

Well if you are planning on doing a full podcast about the album then maybe you could do a track by track breakdown to see where your opinions differ on different songs
07:30 PM on 07/15/14 
User Info.
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
Buffalo NY
Male - 28 Years Old
Dearest Jason; I think everyone would be totally OK with the gaslight discussion being THE episode.

Also, I'll pile in on the love for The Spirit Of Jazz & We Did It When We Were Young.

I'm really stoked about all the bonus tracks, we're getting 16 new songs. So much goodness.
07:56 PM on 07/15/14 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
The three of us are going to record a podcast next Tuesday just discussing this album. I'm not sure yet if we're gonna release it as a one-off episode and do a regular episode next Friday too, or release this as *the* episode (thoughts would be great), but if you have specific questions or things you'd like us to discuss ... please let us know so we can!

Personally, the more content you all can pile on... The better. Assuming there's enough content that you're all invested in to discuss--which is always the case on a regular week.

So as a regular listener? I'd say release both. But I don't think anybody would bat an eyelash if that was the only thing you recorded. And if they do? They're a jerk. It's free content, after all.

Stoked to hear all the thoughts!
08:13 PM on 07/15/14 
User Info.
FTank
I hate Golden Tate
Mount Horeb, WI
Male - 20 Years Old
I also would like the album discussion to be a one-off and still get the regular podcast, but that's just because I'm greedy for content...
08:32 PM on 07/15/14 
User Info.
Alligator Blood
/////////////////
Scarborough, England
Male - 20 Years Old
We Did It When We Were Young is top tier Gaslight
09:59 PM on 07/15/14 
User Info.
WhiteMouse60
Darth Maul
Sweet Home Chicago
Male
amazing band
10:00 PM on 07/15/14 
User Info.
WhiteMouse60
Darth Maul
Sweet Home Chicago
Male
im interested in their new album
12:26 PM on 07/18/14 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Just got done with my first listen. Very pleased: should never have doubted them.
01:35 PM on 07/18/14 
User Info.
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
Buffalo NY
Male - 28 Years Old
yaaaaay, I trust Craig.

Not that I don't trust the other staffers...
05:37 PM on 07/21/14 
User Info.
birdman
Don't hold your breath
Atlanta, Ga
Male
We Did It When We Were Young is top tier Gaslight

Agreed, that may be my favorite Gaslight song.
05:59 PM on 07/21/14 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
"Rollin' and Tumblin'" might actually be my least favorite song on this album, or at least in the bottom three. So, take that as you will.
06:05 PM on 07/21/14 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
It's definitely in my bottom three given the album as a whole -- I don't think it fits very well. I like the song as a standalone though.

Yeah, I liked it as a standalone single more than as a track smack dab in the middle of the record. It's definitely odd coming after "Underneath the Ground," too.

What's your favorite on this? The title track?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos