AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Classic Case - Losing At Life Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 5.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Classic Case - Losing At Life

Reviewed by: flks511 (03/17/09)
Classic Case - Losing At Life
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: February 20, 2007

The first couple of times I listened to this album, I didn't exactly appreciate it to the extent I could have. The first time I put in the CD, a friend immediately walked through my door and we hung out. I barely payed any attention to the music. The second time, I was in a car on a long road trip, listenening to the album on my iPod, with the car radio playing at the same time. It wasn't a very good listen, so after that I had bad feelings about the album.

But finally, I got to sit down and listen to the album all the way through without interruption, and my opinion of the album changed. What I heard was a post-indie band with a fairly interesting sound. They aren't afraid to try new things, such as unusual time signatures (as shown in the tracks, "Scott Free" and "Fatal Phrase"), and they do a good job of experimenting with different styles, while maintaining the same slick sound. Tracks like "Devil's Advocate" and "Unsteady" explore the more heavy metal scene, while the title track and "Living In a Dream" are soft, clean numbers.

Lead singer Jared Draughon has a pretty interesting voice (it brings to mind Nathan Leone of Madina Lake), which fits very well with the production of Page Hamilton, but his lyrics can get kind of redundant and vague. When I listen to "Scott Free," I get really annoyed whenever I hear the line, "Distract everyone and they won't get to the bottom of this, oh yeah." Not only does he sing it in the most irritating way possible, but it doesn't mean anything. It is like this throughout the rest of the album. I try to think that it's just a lazy habit for an inexperienced lyricist, and his writing skills will improve as the band progresses.

All in all, the band tries some new things, and although it isn't perfect, the album shows that Classic Case will only get better with time. They show a lot of potential, and no doubt, once they have a couple of albums under their belt, they will be a very successful band.

Recommended If You LikeKaddisfly; The Dear Hunter; Logan Square; So They Say

myspace.com/classiccase

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News