AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Audrye Sessions - Audrye Sessions Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 8.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.13
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 93%

Audrye Sessions - Audrye Sessions

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (03/30/09)
Audrye Sessions - Audrye Sessions
Record Label: Black Seal Records
Release Date: February 17, 2009

Who?

Audrye Sessions are a four-piece band from Oakland, California, who possess a bit of a Brit-rock-tinged flair. They recently released this album, their self-titled debut, and follow-up to their also self-titled EP, which was released late last year.

How Is It?

It's shockingly good, borrowing heavily from 90's U.K. bands like The Bends-era Radiohead and giving it a spin all their own. Vocalist Ryan Karazija's falsetto bears a striking likeness to that of Thom Yorke, while his ability to transition back and forth seamlessly from falsetto to lower register rivals Muse's Matt Bellamy. On Audrye Sessions, the band takes the artful approach to Brit-rock exhibited on The Bends and dresses it up with an unabashed pop sensibility, creating a record that's sure to please the masses.

Adding to the British vibe is the band's keen ability to create huge arena-ready anthems. No matter how hard they may try (yes Killers, I'm talking about you), most American bands just can't seem to match the epic quality in their songs that their peers from across the Atlantic are able to create, but Audrye Sessions pulls it off in a seemingly effortless fashion. From the chiming guitar riff that kicks off the album's opener, "Turn Me Off," the band unequivocally demand your attention and are able to hold it through the slower moments ("Where You'll Find Me"), the rare American rock-inspired sounds ("Nothing Pure Can Stay") and the sparse, orchestral tunes ("Dust and Bones").

Perhaps most surprising of all is how the band finds firm footing when treading traditionally treacherous terrain. There's always the risk of sounding cheesy when you dive headfirst into power-ballad territory, but Audrye Sessions sound equally inspired on these songs as well. The uplifting "Relentless" sounds like a surefire hit, with its relatable theme (battling life's steady stream of challenges) and its undeniably expansive chorus. Not quite as impressive, but still very much enjoyable, is "She Had to Leave," which starts out a bit slow before hitting the memorable vocal harmonies in the chorus.

While Audrye Sessions will assuredly rope you in with its cavernous guitars (see "Awake") and unmistakable hooks, it delivers its chef d'oeuvre at the midway point with a different type of song, the touching "New Year's Day," a sparsely accompanied song with the delivery and all the emotional impact of something you'd find on Sleeping at Last's Keep No Score. Thematically, it's similar to a song with a similar title, Death Cab for Cutie's "The New Year." Gibbard sang, "This is the New Year, but I don't feel any different." While New Years is oft-celebrated as a time of rebirth and starting over, it sometimes serves only as a stark reminder of the passage of time. "It's just another year that slipped away," Karazija intones mournfully. Thanks to Audrye Sessions, what hasn't slipped away is America's ability to produce epic and gripping rock music.

Recommended If You LikeRadiohead's The Bends
Muse's Origin of Symmetry
Remy Zero's The Golden Hum
Starsailor's Love Is Here
Shirock's Everything Burns

Check out Audrye Sessions on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
10:12 AM on 03/30/09
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Amazing album.
Great review.
O, and get the Shirock album from RIYL as well.
10:18 AM on 03/30/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This band is definitely good. I've been wondering what your avatar was for the longest time, Jeremy.
Finally! They've played New York City a bunch of times, and I always seem to have prior events planned. It's frustrating. Maybe one day I will see them live.
10:28 AM on 03/30/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
This band is definitely good. I've been wondering what your avatar was for the longest time, Jeremy.
Finally! They've played New York City a bunch of times, and I always seem to have prior events planned. It's frustrating. Maybe one day I will see them live.
I can't wait to see them on April 14th. They'll be playing with Around the World and Back, which is a local band who released a really great EP last year. It should be a great show.
10:32 AM on 03/30/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Amazing album.
Great review.
O, and get the Shirock album from RIYL as well.
Thanks. And nice catch. Once in a while, I like to throw an oddball in the RIYL that I don't figure a lot of people to be familiar with, but hope that it serves as a hint to check it out as well. Such is the case with Everything Burns, which I ran across a few weeks ago and really enjoyed. Thanks for raising the awareness even more.
11:49 AM on 03/30/09
iheartmusic043
KKCO
User Info.
I absolutely love their song turn me off. It's kinda ethereal but still powerful.
04:13 PM on 03/30/09
looksthatkillbn
Brady Is The Answer
User Info.
very good review of a very good album
05:28 PM on 03/30/09
Mooregasm
User Info.
great review. i love this album. i cant wait to see them with Manchester Orchestra, fun, and Winston Audio on may 24!
05:43 PM on 03/30/09
Illuminate
It's a shame we need everything
User Info.
Really great album and a great review for it. Good job.
03:46 AM on 03/31/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
This band and album are amazing.
04:55 AM on 03/31/09
cereal4life
User Info.
If they're like the aforementioned album of Radiohead and Muse, I'm there!
05:46 AM on 03/31/09
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
User Info.
Such an amazing album. Sort of sucks that it's basically Braille re-released, but Braille is still a fantastic album. I can't wait to hear more material from them.
06:00 AM on 03/31/09
Everiggs
<--------Hot
User Info.
That settles it...I'm going to their Albany show next month.
10:35 AM on 03/31/09
HometownHero
User Info.
Solid album. Cant wait to seem them with Manchester Orchestra. Great review
10:45 AM on 03/31/09
mmgx
User Info.
Love this album and great review. I heard they are very good live too so i cant wait to see them with Manchester Orchestra
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests