Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 29 posts.
09:01 PM on 04/13/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Good review (although the hating on Alesana was kind of overdone; but the actual review of the album was good).
...except Alesana sucks.

But i wasn't really hating on them, just observing this band sounds like them.
05:26 AM on 04/14/09
Klatzke
User Info.
wtf happened to my comment? I didn't delete it.

I think if you dig through the guitar work you may find a few spots in every song where they seem to break from the shitty hardcore to almost experimental stuff. the use of delay in "I stole my belt from Orion" in the beginning is a nice touch. I'd say that "sorry baby.." and that orion song are the best 2. They break from song structure and have the most promising parts in it.

Just my 2 cents... again. hah.
I'll quote you so it doesn't disappear again. haha.

And I mentioned that there are a few good guitar parts, and I actually discussed that with the band. Like the solo in the one song.
08:56 PM on 04/14/09
Klatzke
User Info.
No, I wasn't saying the review was bad, it's just that there's 2 whole paragraphs devoted to Alesana, which is kind of overdoing it.
No.. There's not. It's all about the band just with comments regarding them. I really doubt your comprehension skills.
04:18 PM on 04/15/09
Klatzke
User Info.
The point I was trying to make was that you overdid it with all the Alesana comparisons. We get it, they sound similar.
Similar doesn't cut it. It's almost a rip in a lot of places. Pretty much not something you can ignore.
06:07 PM on 04/15/09
Klatzke
User Info.
"This band sounds a lot like Alesana." There, point made. Not.. "This band is an exact replica of Alesana. Their singer sounds too much like Milke. They use screamers, like Alesana. But the screaming is decent, not like Alesana. I wonder if I can stand Alesana now. etc, etc.
You're an idiot. Stick to writing flattering reviews for second rate bands, and I'll keep comparing other bad releases to them.
06:19 PM on 04/15/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Haha there's no point in explaining it to this kid.
It's ridiculous. Apparently they don't teach reading comprehension where he's from. Very possibly Ohio
06:27 PM on 04/15/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Man, All this talk about Alesana as their downfall. And Klatzke, you said its a rip of in some places too.
Okay first I wanna say, yes, there are places where you could EASILY say they sound like them. However since all these comments have come about I went and really started listening to them and trying to find places where they rip and places they dont.

Sorry baby I'm into necrophilia,

There is no layered screaming at all in this song. Their low screamer is not there at all, and actually I think thats both a good and a bad thing.

good because, I agree that most of the layered stuff sounds like a dead rip off of alesana

bad because, in all honesty I think their low screamer is WAY better, sounds ballsy and just intense and their high screamer at times sounds like his voice is cracking. The fact that they released a sound in some places like that would be embarrassing for me if I was him.

However, That song happens upon alot of vocal and guitar driven things that make the song easily their best. The chorus for one after a few listens is just... epic. I love the sustained harmony while the screamer mixes it up with a variation of pitch and intensity.

If anything, I'd say, give them a chance. Listen a few times and really dig through it. You may find alot more then you would expect from the first listen. And for all you alesana haters.. this might be alesana done right.

The singing is just flat out better, yes its still not by any means great or even consistently good. but it sure as hell is way better then shawns whinny piece of shit crys in tune.
Uhh I'm aware I said they sound like them. And I listened more than "a few times."
06:40 PM on 04/15/09
Klatzke
User Info.
no, i know. I'm sorry I worded that bad. Just was trying to comment on places they ripped and places they don't.

I mean if anything I would have liked to hear just a bit more on the things they DID do right. What made them right? Why do you think they didn't do this more? Does it appear that they may lean towards more of this in the future?

One more note. The song "you're an eight" is pure garbage. Tough guy the whole way through and the super slo mo breakdown made me wanna throw up. (figuratively)

Edit: and I wasn't trying to tell you to listen more. I was just saying in general for everyone.
I mentioned what they did well. I wasn't going to make this a 500 word review for a six song ep that was easy to make a decision about.
09:32 PM on 04/15/09
Klatzke
User Info.
You've gotta chill. I wasn't trying to start an arguement, I was just telling you that the constant comparisons to another band was overdone.
Your argument is pointless, and i'm not the only one who thinks so. I rarely get up in arms over criticism, but when it's based on something that makes no sense I'll argue it. Have you heard this whole EP? If not, there's no way for you to even know the extent of the comparison.
09:33 PM on 04/15/09
Klatzke
User Info.
So the education system in Ohio is sorely lacking? Anyway, he obviously doesn't understand you're pointing out that this band is more than just an Alesana sound-a-like and not that Alesana is bad(though we both know they are).
Oh yeah it's lacking. Hah
09:46 PM on 04/15/09
Klatzke
User Info.
I've checked them out. I see your point. I'm not denying that the two bands sound alike. What I was saying was the comments about the similarities were a bit excessive.
... which they weren't? I didn't constantly make comparisons to the sound, I just referenced a few ways as to how they sounded like them, and used them as a bit of humor throughout.
05:44 AM on 04/16/09
Klatzke
User Info.
I'm just saying...it caught my attention, and it kind of took away from the review.
Cool
08:32 AM on 05/01/09
Klatzke
User Info.
I believe thats a question I should be asking you. You response without any sort of support backing your claim is funny. Anybody can stamp an opinion on anything. Without a constructive review/response/post your words mean nothing.

Similar is one thing, A complete rip off, no. Show me a part in the music where they RIP off a riff, melody, or lyric. You won't find it I guarantee you. Oh and how often did alesana do a slowed down break into a blue grass solo? When have they ever gone from a hardcore part and transitioned into what could be funk? For that matter when have they ever done gang vocals? How many other bands are layering screams now? TDWP does it, A Day To Remember... ect. Its a growing fad, more and more bands are throwing in parts like that. Are you gunna say they ripped Alesana off too? I at no point heard in these guy's music a part in a song where it was 3 people screaming overlapping and all different lines which is alesana's so called "trademark" I heard Echoed screams meaning a high line and then the same line in a low scream. But never anything more than that. These guys have a number of places where two singers are featured other than just one, Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Alesana only has one singer if you can even call that singing.

If you can pick out things to distinguish one band from another and support it I'll respect it. Have you taken Music classes? Do you know what musical dictation is? Workings of musical Theory? The use of Counterpoint and the chromatic leading tone dominant chords used by this band make their music progressions different. I disagree with the reviewers claim to an "extremely boring guitar approach" Because IF you had listened to the music you would have discovered that 2 of their songs are done using almost nothing but jazz chords in a dominant position and cleverly inverted. But whos to say you actually understood any of that just by listening.
Their vocal arrangements and clean singing pretty much rip them off. They sound nearly identical.

Oh, and "had I actually listened to it.." gtfo, I listened to these songs at least 10+ times each before writing this. On more than one of those occasions, I believe Handra was actually with me. I get this is some local band that you dig, but really, this EP was bad. I'm not saying the guys are untalented, and they were extremely chill dudes when I talked to them after this was posted, but this EP was generic and rehashed.

Sorry.
08:46 AM on 05/03/09
Klatzke
User Info.
at what point did I say there was something new about this ep?
never, i was pointing out that what I had analyzed from this music in a response to your claim of a "complete" rip off.

Sounds like you have to make claims to try to offend when someone actually replies with support backing their argument, unlike you. Read Before you respond.

and klatze,

" I get this is some local band that you dig"

I do, but again I didn't say that. In my post I didn't even say weather or not I liked them. Everyone can improve, and no they are not worthy of getting somewhere yet, But with work I believe they will.

"Oh, and "had I actually listened to it.." gtfo, I listened to these songs at least 10+ times each before writing this. On more than one of those occasions, I believe Handra was actually with me."

Your review comes off as if you we're in a bad mood from the first place, you made it not only clear but offensively clear that they sound alike. Who we're you actually talking about were you talking about? how bad alesana is? or how this band reminds of so much of alesana. Either way the point is this review is not SOLELY about the band, which (IN MY OPINON) makes me feel you can't dictate the music enough to actually talk about it without relating it to something.

How did you anylze it did you read the lyrics and think about it? Thats one of the places you gave it a somewhat good score? Why? that was no where in your review and I'm pretty sure the band itself would like to know exactly what was better than average about their lyrics in their sub par band.

Production, the highest rating... and all you said was something about adding synth.

And did you really have to mention the song titles over something like prodcution or lyrics? That really makes it seem as tho you we're striving to drive them even further into the ground.

when you write a review for something that alot of people may read. Be concrete, you certainly were not.

Now i'll sit and wait for the response with some sort of insult because maybe you can't take critisim about your own review. Why in the hell would you give critism if you can't take it? You've done nothing but bash or beat down someone who had ANY sort of problem with your review.
I just get pretty pissed when someone either says or insinuates I "didn't listen." IDC about criticism, when it's actually presented correctly, but not a soul on these boards seems capable of that.

Lyrics were above average, I saw no reason to delve into them on a once over review. And I'm not sure if you've read any other reviews of mine, but I think it's quite clear I can drone on about song structures and describe the songs. This review was done from this focal point because, in my opinion, the similarities were overwhelming. Production, IMO, didn't really need mentioning; most people just want to know there's a high production value, which there was. Including that the tracks sounded well recorded and mixed wouldn't have taken away from the harshness off the review, it just would have seemed off topic. I wasn't mad when writing the review; I have absolutely no vendetta against this band, either before or after this review.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests