AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 7
Production 7.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.06
Musicianship 9.92
Lyrics 7.98
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.65
Lasting Value 8.79
Reviewer Tilt 8.77
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil

Reviewed by: Scott Weber (11/21/05)
Avenged SevenfoldCity of Evil
Release Date: June 7, 2005
Record Label: Warner Brothers

I’ll be honest. I’ve always hated this band. I’ve hated their image, their sound, etc. But City of Evil is a different direction for the band. With no screaming at all, Shadows’ voice is thrust into the limelight. This is not particularly a good thing. It’s fairly evident that years and years of touring has taken its toll upon his voice, and the result is raspy, heavily auto-tuned, and nasally. Could there be anything more metal? While the vocals may turn some people away from this album right off the bat, I encourage you to give it a fair shot. Without the screaming, City of Evil is a completely over the top metal album, complete with lyrics about sex, drugs, and rock & roll – seriously. Full of coarse language and guitar neck-licking solos, City of Evil is actually one of the stronger metal albums to be released this year.

City of Evil is completely overdone – know that before you start listening. The lyrics are cliché, the artwork resembles an Iron Maiden record, and the songs are all extremely long. Take it or leave it, but I say take it. I find City of Evil to be a completely epic metal album, and after a few listens, the vocals didn’t bother me at all. Strangely enough, I found myself actually enjoying the constricted wails of Shadows as he attempts to belt out notes that used to come with ease. In an album full of everything from harmonizing riffs to Spanish guitar solos, Avenged Sevenfold proves that music is not all about the vocals. In actuality, A7X are insanely talented musicians. The music itself is simply jaw dropping at times, as A7X has some of the most skilled guitar players around. The timing and intricacy of guitar solos and the steady and fast drumming make A7X stand out from the pack. Clocking in at well over 70 minutes, City of Evil proves to be an album of epic proportions, hitting on all cylinders before sinking off into the night.

The first track introduces the listener to A7X’s sound – fast, driving, and melodic. Despite the strained vocals, the songwriting is awesome and the choruses are memorable. Immediately following the chorus, A7X first demonstrates their first solo, and it’s mind-boggling. An example of much to come, the band manages to transition perfectly from solos to verse/chorus. Even if you don’t dig on the vocals, show some respect to the music itself, because it’s out of control. “Blinded in Chains” is a more melodic song, with driving verses leading into a soaring chorus with progressively higher chords. At times, A7X’s music stirs around comparisons to Metallica, but the vocals are just so much weaker.

“Bat Country” is an awesome song that starts with the only semi-scream on the album. Essentially a song straight from the 80’s, the lyrics are pretty self-explanatory – “…Too many doses and I’m starting to get an attraction.” Sex. Drugs. Rock & Roll. Normally, lyrics like these would make me cringe, but because this album is so over-the-top, they’re just laughable. It made me smile and continue rocking out to the music. Over time, the album gets progressively more experimental, as “Seize the Day” is the classic metal ballad, while “Sidewinder” dabbles into all sorts of styles before settling into a Spanish guitar solo at the end. The solo is amazing, and all Carlos Santana jokes aside, you’ll be impressed at what these guys can do. “The Wicked Road” brings back the metal with staggered mini-licks to break up verses. I love the licks in this song, but lyrics here are just terrible… “We've grown into the numbers six hundred sixty six…” Cliché? Check. Metal? Check. Say what you will, but this is the way metal has always been, and this album is really no exception. As the final 3 tracks become a bit too much (“Strength of the World” has a 1 minute intro that combines western rattles, violins, and steel and acoustic guitars into some sort of dramatic song introduction) the album fades off into the distance. Proving that 11 songs and 70 some minutes is a bit much, A7X just lost my interest after track 9.

Overall, Avenged Sevenfold’s City of Evil is an awesome album that has gotten many plays from my CD player. The music is entertaining, and for every minute you find yourself hating on Shadows’ burnt out voice, you’ll find yourself forgiving the band for the face-shredding solo that follows. City of Evil is a great metal record that is a fun flashback to the days of hair metal. Before you listen to the record, know that A7X seems to revel in the fact that the album is a bit much. The artwork, lyrics, and music all suggest that this record is meant to be exactly what it is – so take it with a grain of salt. Avenged Sevenfold has released one of the better metal records to come out this year, so throw your biases out the window, stomach the voice (which really isn’t THAT bad), and bust out your air guitar, because it’s time to shred.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33
08:54 PM on 11/25/05
jordanwlee
User Info.
i used to hate hate hate this band...and then i heard the single to the new album....now i respect them.
09:25 PM on 11/25/05
funeral&Afriend
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sounding of the seventh trumpet=masterpeice
City Of evil=eh...its good
04:02 PM on 11/26/05
under_soil89
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by jordanwlee
i used to hate hate hate this band...and then i heard the single to the new album....now i respect them.

i used to think this band was alright. now i hate hate hate this band. if someone killed m.shadows, and the band got a new vocalist, they would be great.
08:52 AM on 12/08/05
funeral&Afriend
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Its not really his fault though because he was screaming he tore up his vocal cords so his voice is not as good and he cant scream but its still a good record .Dont hate apperciate
12:45 PM on 12/08/05
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Originally Posted by funeral&Afriend
Its not really his fault though because he was screaming he tore up his vocal cords so his voice is not as good and he cant scream but its still a good record .Dont hate apperciate
or his record label told him he can't...
11:37 AM on 12/11/05
FASSWcore
under lock and key
User Info.
this band is a piece of shit, i respect what they're doing still, but i hate them and their image
12:12 PM on 12/14/05
cahrishurr
thats like uh just your opinion man
User Info.
i love this album
this is the album that got me into them
and then i heard waking the fallen and i fell completley in love
their image is a litttle messed cause they look like motley crue...which isnt a good thing
05:17 PM on 12/21/05
Sidewinder
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
these guys fucking own .
05:23 PM on 12/23/05
lovesongssuck
User Info.
bat country is an awesome song especially the guitar solos and i really want city of evil for xmas
05:18 PM on 01/03/06
enj0y_incubus
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this band, but why is the member score for instrumentals so low? Regardless if you like this band or not you have to admit that they very talented musicians, which is rare in rock music these days.

Great Album, but I kinda miss the screaming.
12:27 PM on 01/04/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Does anyone else recognize the resemblance between "Bat Country" and Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear And Loathing In Los Vegas."

It's a straight rip off of it.
02:41 PM on 01/05/06
LostSymphonies
I will radiate you
User Info.
Originally Posted by GoWaitInTheCar
Does anyone else recognize the resemblance between "Bat Country" and Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear And Loathing In Los Vegas."

It's a straight rip off of it.

If you notice in the CD booklet it is dedicated to him because he passed away recently. They sent the song to his family and they liked it so much that they wanted two authographed copies of City of Evil and gave them permission to use the song.
07:13 AM on 01/06/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by LostSymphonies
If you notice in the CD booklet it is dedicated to him because he passed away recently. They sent the song to his family and they liked it so much that they wanted two authographed copies of City of Evil and gave them permission to use the song.

I am not familiar with the band, I just said what I saw. So I wouldn't doubt this. Great movie though, you should see it, if you didn't already.
07:37 AM on 03/23/06
ThisIsAName
User Info.
WHAT?!?! The vocals only got a FREAKIN 5!?!?!?! I hate you! A7X rocks and I love City of Evil, Beast and the Harlot IS there best song! Its on the City of Evil CD!! and I don't like them because they are famous I like them b/c they kick ass! So the vocals get a 10!!!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums