AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
FM Static - Dear Diary Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 9.25
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.17
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.83
Production 9
Creativity 8.92
Lasting Value 9.17
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

FM Static - Dear Diary

Reviewed by: evan324 (04/08/09)
FM Static - Dear Diary
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: April 7, 2009

FM Static is a name many people on this website may not know much about because they don't get much publicity, since they're a Christian rock band. Don't let the word Christian scare you away, though. Sure, they sing about God a few times in the album (as well as have a song titled 'Dear God'), but that doesn't mean anything. I had been looking forward to this album since hearing rumors of it last summer from the frontman Trevor Mcnevan (also frontman of Thousand Foot Krutch).

This album was supposed to come out before the end of 2008, but due to complications, it came out this past week. Dear Diary is a concept album following the life of a high schooler falling in love, learning to cope and moving away and going to college at the end of the album, all things we've all been through. It is a bit odd for FM Static to be writing about high school, but I feel like it works well for them, since they write very upbeat, happy music.

The album starts off with the first single "Boy Moves to a New Town With Optimistic Outlook," which is a great way to start off any album, with a great rock song with great vocals on Trevor's part. For being a two-man band they sure know how to rock. The second song, "The Unavoidable Battle of Feeling on the Outside," starts off with a riff reminiscent of New Found Glory's "My Friends Over You" and rocks you just as much, if not more, then the first song. "Boy Meets Girl (And Vice Versa)" opens with a bass riff and shaker and shows more of Trevor's great vocal range, instead of the heavy singing like he does on Thousand Foot Krutch's albums. This song has some corny lyrics like, "and now she's coming over what do i do now, says she loves her jesus, and she loves herself, i wish i wasn't wearing this shirt somehow, it's too late now."

"Sometimes You Can Forget Who You Are" follows the same song structure of the last three songs, starting off slower before the drums and lead guitar come in. "Man Watcha' Doin?" reminds me of a good version of a Nickelback song, but only clocking in at 2 minutes 8 seconds, it ends rather quickly. I can't figure out what he is singing about all that much in this song, but it is rather catchy. "The Voyage of Beliefs" features Tricia from Superchick, another christian rock band, and I feel this is a very well structured song and very good for sing-alongs on a long summer drive.

"Her father's song," I feel, is the weakest song on this album but still is nothing to skip over. "Take Me as I Am" has been on their Myspace page for a few weeks right now, so I feel like I can relate a lot this song, and I feel like this is one of the stronger, but slower, songs on the album. Like the others, it shows Trevor's great vocal range and has very deep drums. "Dear God" is a ballad with some nice piano backing Trevor's voice. Don't be scared by the title of this track because it is an amazing song and would be a shame to skip over on this album. "The Shindig (Off to College)" is the last track on the album. Yes, the character in the album finally makes it out of high school and goes to college. From the lyrics it seems like he "bangs bangs the boobie" all night long. I may not be hearing the lyrics correctly but I am about 80% sure about that. Odd lyrics but yet very upbeat and a great closer for an amazing album which will definitely get a lot of wear and tear from my car CD player on long drives this summer.

So, overall, I highly recommend this album to anyone who likes upbeat, happy summer music as well as NFG. So go check it out and enjoy!

Recommended If You Likeolder FM Static; Thousand Foot Krutch; New Found Glory; Superchick; Sanctus Real; Everyday Sunday; happy upbeat acoustic rock songs

myspace.com/fmstatic

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
04:16 AM on 04/18/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
These guys are near 30 and still writing about high school. Wish they'd mature with their sound, because it could be worthwhile.
03:33 PM on 04/18/09
Shattered Glass
User Info.
I think they have matured. There isn't a song as silly as "Defiantly Maybe" on this album and they don't sound as poppy as they have in the past.
11:36 PM on 04/19/09
stealthpeng
ya rly.
User Info.
I enjoyed "Definitely Maybe" though! There are several clever lines on their debut... HOWEVER, they were already too old to be singing about high school (well, at least in the style they do) when their first album came out.

I, unfortunately, feel this band, like Hawk Nelson, will always be seen as a second-string pop-punk christian alternative to Blink or NFG. Sure, they can write a catchy hook, but they lack personality and originality... and, this may just be my opinion, but I've always felt like they were just trying to cash-in with this band
12:33 AM on 04/20/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
These guys are near 30 and still writing about high school. Wish they'd mature with their sound, because it could be worthwhile.
I read somewhere that the lead singer started the band to record songs written in high school. So FM Static might be something of a theme band.

That said, I do wish they'd write about more current events in their lives. Hardly listened to them after first hearing them because of that same reason.
03:58 AM on 04/20/09
blebbio
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Every song could have been a cover because they all sound like other songs. One song sounds like a Nickleback cover.
06:51 AM on 04/20/09
evan324
just put some vinegar on it dummy
User Info.
im a big fan of fm static/thousand foot krutch.. hence why i wrote this review.. im surprised he didnt write about college or something else rather then high school though, but oh well, still a great cd.
08:01 AM on 04/20/09
roju
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"The second song, "The Unavoidable Battle of Feeling on the Outside," starts off with a riff reminiscent of New Found Glory's "My Friends Over You""

I actually think it sounds more like "Head On Collision" by NFG
08:30 AM on 04/20/09
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
Your rating for the lyrics on this is WAY too high. Holy ballz. I mean FM Static can be catchy, but come on. This deserves like a 2 on lyrics.

EDIT: Oh yeah the guy is 30. Time to move away from they lyrics about high school.
12:11 PM on 04/20/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Your rating for the lyrics on this is WAY too high. Holy ballz. I mean FM Static can be catchy, but come on. This deserves like a 2 on lyrics.

EDIT: Oh yeah the guy is 30. Time to move away from they lyrics about high school.
Thank you, that's what I'm saying. Their like Hawk Nelson -- each need to take their faith or whatever the motivation for their songs are, and move on to a mature concept.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums