{SCORE: 6.9/10}

1. Give Up
2. Don’t Speak Up
3. Built-In
4. Idiot
5. Infinite
6. Give Up (Radio)
7. Built-In (Radio)

If you think synth rock is just another rock genre phase, Aerodrone has something to say about that. Continuing the trend of electronic-rock, their first-ever release Demo EP is a foot in the door for these “robots disguised as humans.” Determined to become the anti-scene, Aerodrone bring an easing and simple sound, albeit their own.

For a demo, I’m rather impressed. Worries of severe under production were mildly yielded to simple drum tempos and subtle but wiry guitars. The wavering and droning of both the keytar (yeah, I know…awesome) and keyboards seem aren’t progressive through the demo but don’t exceed the ovelty or constant chords in each song. Safe tracks like “Built In” and “Infinite” are worthy songs for college radio and have already undoubtedly got attention with them.

Aerodrone— Gary Zon (vocals/keytar), Kevin Patrick (guitar), Shawn Kilmer (keyboards), Chris Olsen (bass) and Marcus Bang (drums)—claim to carry a critique of pop culture norms through their lyrics, which explains songs like “Don’t Speak Up” where Zon stammers “You talk like / You need me / And act like / You understood / But I've got / No meaning / Yea, I am / Just another face.” Though, the lyrics are so loosely written with themes of discontent and inevitability, the silver lining is that Zon carries the words to match their synth noise.

They may not sound like The Wonders, but Aerodrone continue to live out their fantasy of following the exact plot the band did in the film That Thing You Do. Considering this is the most extreme case of original unoriginality, one begins to wonder (pun intended) if this scheme will be successful. Whether it is a publicity stunt or not, these hipsters keep their music on both front burners.

While, they don’t possess a wow factor in their electric sound, this is just a demo, expect a bigger bang on their next studio session. Until then, if you’re hung up on The Killers or The Faint, Aerodrone will tickle your fancy.
This review is a user submitted review from Gabe Gross. You can see all of Gabe Gross's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version